11 Random Facts From A Very Random Person
2. I sang in an a cappella quartet in high school and university called Me And The Boys ... some of the best times of my life were with those guys.
3. I consistently take different routes to work based on whether cars in front of me take certain turns or not ... hey variety is the spice of life.
4. I love being a principal ... but my real dream job is to be a professional golfer by day and a professional poker player by night. Good thing for West Langley Elementary that I'm not that good at either.
5. I am a Star Wars geek ... and proud of it. The force is strong in me and I own that!
6. I've never actually cried as an adult. It's not that I don't want to or that I don't feel emotion, but for some reason, I never get tears. Wish I did ... it looks very therapeutic.
7. I just got my first tattoo for my 40th birthday ... and I absolutely love it. I know it won't be my last.
8. My favourite Disney movie is The Little Mermaid ... and yes, I am man enough to admit that. The songs are amazing and the little crab, Sebastian is hilarious.
9. One of my favourite random acts of kindness is paying for the coffee for the person behind me in the drive thru of Tim Hortons.
10. I once owned a 1979 baby blue Gremlin ... no wonder I couldn't get a date in high school.
11. I wear a size 12 shoe ... you can't get more random than that.
Well Ms Henriksen ... You Wanted To Know!
Favourite colour would have to be purple ... but not the pastel-type purple. The nice royal purple. My least favourite colour would be grey ... just seems so drab.
2. What was your favourite subject / least favourite subject in school?
So I'm going to assume that for this one, recess and lunch don't count. Because if they did, they were absolutely my favourite! So with those aside, my favourite subject as a kid was Math. I always enjoyed the challenge of "figuring things out." And I was blessed with many teachers who challenged me on a regular basis.
My least favourite subject was probably Art! Whenever I need a reminder on how much a teacher can impact your love/hate of a subject it is my grade 8 art teacher. Being told how awful my shoe line drawing was destroyed any passion or desire I had to explore this art area.
3. Where were you born?
Born in beautiful North Vancouver, BC ... at Lions Gate Hospital ... at 10:15am on October 21, 1973 ... in room 312 :)
4. What was your lowest grade in your post-secondary classes? In what class?
I got a 50% on a statistics course in second year Psychology. And we all know that when you get exactly 50% on a course in university, you actually failed, but the teacher was just being generous...and I thanked him profusely.
5. What is the best characteristic you received from your mom?
Probably my passion. My mom was a very passionate person. And you would think raising three difficult boys would suck the passion out of any person, but she always had strong opinions about things and was never afraid to share them.
6. What is your favourite childhood memory?
Christmas morning! My brothers and I would get up as early as possible (usually around 3am), sneak downstairs and proceed to sort all the gifts into piles, always comparing who had the biggest one, who had more, etc. Then, we would usually fall asleep amongst all the presents until Mom and Dad came down and woke us up. That was always followed by, what felt like hours of torture, as our parents got coffee, got dressed, etc while we waited impatiently to get the morning started.
7. How old were you when you learned to swim?
Was in the water as a baby and probably swimming not long after that. We were raised in Squamish and had the luxury of going to Alice Lake on a very consistent basis. Of course swimming lessons helped too :)
8. Is Disneyland really the Happiest Place on Earth?
When you go with your kids, it's hard to argue with that. I had been a few times as an adult, but when I took my kids in 2007 (ages 5 and 3) and got to experience Disneyland through their eyes ... there aren't words to explain how truly magical that was.
9. What’s your favourite video you’ve watched recently on social media?
I'd have to say it is the West Jet Christmas Miracle video. It actually gave me goose bumps to imagine how shocked and joyful those passengers would have felt seeing the gifts arrive off the baggage carousel. If you haven't seen it, it is definitely worth a watch.
10. If you could plan it, what would your last meal consist of?
Well, hopefully I don't actually get to plan my last supper because that seems like something only Jesus and criminals on death row get to do ... and I'm not either of those. But if I could, my last meal would consist of teriyaki steak tips, my wife's caesar salad (to die for) and baked focaccia bread dipped in oil and balsamic vinegar.
11. What makes you happiest?
This one is easy .... my family! I am blessed with an amazing wife, Crystal Davids, who I am honoured to know I will spend the rest of my life with. She fulfills me in every way possible and make me want to be the best man I can be every day. I also have two incredible children, Peter (11) and Amy (9). They are my true inspiration. I admire so much about them and feel privileged to be their Dad.
11 Amazing Bloggers!
Tech Teacher On A Mission
2. Karen Lirenman @KLirenman:
Learning and Sharing With Ms Lirenman
3. Lucy Lenko @LucyLenko
4. Sandra Averill @av3rill
In Pursuit Of The Perfect Font
5. Colleen Skiles @cskiles80
CSI: Connections, Strategy, Instruction
6. Heidi Hass Gable @HHG
I Was Thinking ...
7. Todd Bloch @BlochT574
Sweat To Inspire
8. Scott Ross @flyfishingprinc
The Fly Fishing Principal
9. Chris Wejr @ChrisWejr
The Wejr Board
10. Hugh McDonald @hughtheteacher
Today Is A Great Day For Learning
11. Carol Perry @CLPerry55
Mrs Perry's Online Place
My Questions For You
2. Where is your "happy place?"
3. What was your favourite movie growing up as a child?
4. What quote inspires you the most?
5. If you could sit down for one hour with any person, past or present, who would it be and why?
6. What's one of the scariest things you've ever done?
7. In just one word, how would your friends describe you? Your colleagues?
8. What's the best decision you ever made?
9. What did you do for your 16th birthday?
10. What's your favourite joke?
So Now It's Your Turn
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- List 11 bloggers.
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.